Monday, May 18, 2015

2015 Superior Spring Trail 50k

1           Details
Date:  Saturday, May 16th, 2015

Distance: 50K

Weather:  Mid High 40s to start, up to the low 50s during the peak.  Sunny all day.  Warmer than expected but no complaints.  Perfect day.

Runners:  Reid and Kim in the 50k.  Courtney, Kelly, Tanya, Marcus, Anne, Zoey, Noelle, Brent all running the 25k.  600 people total on the course (200 50k, 400 25k).

Crew:  None.  The first race I was out there “alone”.  Totally fine and buoyed by knowing so many other people I knew were on the course.

Gear: Ultimate Direction SJ Hydration Pack (got it on the Wednesday before the race and more on this below), arm warmers for the start, Brooks shorts, multiple shirts, Hoka Stinson ATRs, Gaitors.

Fuel:  Perpetuem Caffe Latte for the start of the race.  Gu for the last few hours after my stomach wasn’t right.  Hammer Endurolytes Extreme every hour then damn near every half hour after I started cramping.

2           Training and Preparation
This year training is a bit different as it is essentially focused on the Fall 100M race.  The winter was just awesome for running on trails.  The weather was fairly mild and we picked our spots often getting long runs in on Friday afternoon/nights when the weather was typically 20 degrees warmer than Saturday mornings.  We ended up doing tons of runs out at Afton often doing the full race loop.  As my training is constantly evolving, I really didn’t focus on overall mileage at all.  Due to our hectic schedule with the kids and Courtney running, I only managed to run about 4 days a week.  But I really tried to make those runs count typically running 8 miles or more on all of my “short” runs. I also didn’t have too many “easy” short long runs.  Most of the runs were 15-17 miles.  However, I didn’t manage to get one 20 mile run in either.  So my training was really all over the place.  Low’ish weekly mileage at 37 miles per week in the 11 weeks leading up to the race.  Two weeks at 49 miles but none over 50 (or over 60 like years past). 

But through all of that, I just felt stronger in general.  I found I could run on more uphills during the long runs, and also feel stronger on the flats.  I’m sure lots of this is me being almost 5 years into running so my base is pretty large, but I think being smart about training and really getting used to 10 mile runs being easy and making Afton our staple for long runs all plays into it too. 

3           Race Weekend Preparation
Courtney and I traveled up after she got off work.  Got in and met up with Reid and Kelly who had gone up earlier and checked us in.  Flew the DJI Inspire in the parking lot and showed it off to Kim and Co. when they showed up. Got our race packets, ate some good dinner and got to hang out with Kelly’s parents and settled in around 9pm.  Courtney and I had been feeling the lingering’s of colds coming on but I decided not to worry about it as there isnt anything I could do at that point.  Turns out I felt pretty good.


Everyone hanging out pre race.  Notice the 25kers in their jammies.  

4           Race Start to Oberg (Mile 0 to 7.75: 7.75 miles)
Interval Time: - 1:31     Time on Course -  1:31     Interval Pace – 11:45   Avg. Pace – 11.45

I wasn’t going to be too conservative in the race.  I figured I knew how to deal with a lot of issues that have come up in the past and really wanted to push running the flats and downhills versus years past.  As per usual, the first couple of miles are a bit of a conga line going over Mysteray and climbing up the backside of Moose.  I ran behind Robyn Reed for a while and we chatted about her blog which inspired me in part to write these race reports.  After conga line’ing it across the ridgeline on top of Moose we got to the descent.  People were picking there way down and I just decided to let it loose.  I passed easily 15 people on the downhill here just flying.  I had one other guy behind me as we bombed the hill.  I mentioned to him that I will probably pay for that later but he said “you have to do it, right?”.  I agreed as that was some of the most fun I have had in a race to that point.  We went up and over Oberg and I just flew coming down into the aid station.  My many hours running at Afton on the downhills really helped during those descents.  I was surprised to see Kim and Reid just about to leave the aid station.  They waited for me to drop my hydration pack out, change shirts, and fill up my bottles (one with Perp and one with water).  We headed out on our way to Sawbill as a group feeling really good.
50kers ready to go.

5            Oberg to Sawbill (Mile 7.75 to 13.3: 5.55 miles)
Interval Time: - 1:11     Time on Course – 2:42     Interval Pace - 12:47     Avg. Pace – 12:10

We left as a trio with some other runners.  The first mile or so out of Oberg are extremely runnable.  It was really nice to run at a decent pace for sections large-ish sections.  This section at times was extremely muddy.  There were bits of mud on the first section, but this eclipsed that and was easily worse than last year which is saying something. I didn’t tip toe around anything this year from the get go.  I would just go right through the middle trying to find rocks to jump on if I could.  Often times you would find deep pools of mad that were calf deep.  I didn’t lose any shoes, but it weighed on your legs slogging through this.  I eventually lost Kim and Reid which wasn’t much of a surprise.  I stayed positive through this section and ran much of it on my way into Sawbill getting ready to go up to Carlton. 

6           Sawbill back to Sawbill (Mile 13.3 to 17.7: 4.5 miles)
Interval Time: - 0:49     Time on Course – 3:31     Interval Pace – 10:52  Avg Pace – 11:55

Wow, I had no idea I was able to get up and down Carlton so quickly.  Those paces and overall average pace all don’t seem quite “right”.  I am using the course map to calculate paces through the report but plan on going back to look at last years race in detail to compare. 

This was the first time during the race I regretted bombing down Moose as I had a couple cramps on my inner thighs that I have felt so many times before on the SHT.  I just kept walking through the pain (slowly) and doubled down on hydration and added a salt pill in.  Managed to make it up with Kim who I ran into on the way up all the way to the turn around.  A quick selfie at the top and we were back on the way down.  Managed to run much of the downhill even though cramps were lingering and come back into Sawbill feeling really pretty good.
At the top of Carlton's peak with the man, the myth, the legend...

7           Sawbill to Oberg (Mile 17.7 to 23.25: 5.55 miles)
Interval Time: - 1:32     Time on Course – 5:03     Interval Pace – 16:34   Avg Pace – 13:01

I hate this section.  It seems to go on forever, and is always muddy as hell by this point.  Most of the downhills are rivers of mud it is difficult to run on, and there are large sections of flats that are just lakes of mud.  I am glad I have run this section many times before as I knew from experience and landmarks that when you think you are close to the aid station, there are typically a couple of miles left.  So mentally I was much scronger here than in the past even though I was still dealing with cramps.  My stomach also didn’t feel great on the perp, so I switched over to Gu’s which I had stashed in my pack.  Overall it took about 20 minutes longer on the 5.55 stretch than on the way out which sucks at a 16:34 pace.  Cramps and crappy stomach certainly didn’t help but ugh.

I had passed out some scratch off lottery tickets here on my way out.  I asked the guy if he won and he hadn’t scratched them off yet.  I told him I was going to go to the bathroom (only time all day) and he had to find a way to scratch them off.  He did, didn’t win, but I high fived him anyway and headed on out. 

The Ultimate Direction pack has serious storage capabilities.  Overall I was really happy with it but it would have been nice to run with it a couple times to figure out its quirks.  But happy in general and being able to really monitor water intake was nice.  There are a couple of deceiving climbs in this section that I slogged through and managed to run a bit coming into the aid station.  I was happy to have this section behind me with only the finish line ahead.
8       Oberg to Finish (Mile 23.25 to 31: 7.75 miles)
Interval Time: - 1:56     Time on Course – 6:56     Interval Pace – 14:96  Avg Pace – 13:24

Cramping aside, I was happy with my race so far.  My stomach seemed to be handling the Gu well, and I had my half-filled pack along with 40 oz. of water in my bottles.  I got up and over Oberg walking all the way and decided to give running a healthy try on the way down the backside.  I had some tunes on and overall felt really strong.  I was feeling really good on the downhill, but I ran into some cramps again that forced me to stop on the downhill.  It was frustrating, but I took it ok considering everything else that could go wrong.  I made my way to Moose where there were probably 15 people climbing up at this point between the 25kers and 50kers.  I kept making sure that I was sending out positive vibes to everyone I was passing at this point.  I still love that about trail racing.  Nearly everyone on the course will give words of encouragement no matter how poor they are feeling.

I made it up Moose without really stopping, but I was going pretty slowly at sections.  Last year I just killed this climb, but I didn’t really have too many issues to deal with to that point.  I got to the ridgeline and walked most of it though I managed some spurts of running.  I was able to half stumble/run down the backside of Moose which was nice.  Having traversed this in the dark last Fall, it was nice to do it in the light where you could see things a bit more clearly.  Made my way to hike up Mystery which I was happy to do.  I found Kim on the climb up and found out she had really messed up her nutrition and was having a really hard day.  I gave her some words of encouragement and made my way to the top and back down the backside of Mystery.

I managed to run most of the way down the hill (mudslides aside) and made it over the glorious river and to the road.  Ran all the way in as I really wanted to finish in sub 7 hours if possible.  I was hoping since I didn’t see anyone I knew on the trail that was running the 25k that everyone in general had a good day.  How I didn't manage to take a post race picture is beyond me.  I had to move my phone to the back of my pack and need to find a more convenient place for it to take pictures on the course.  But there is no excuse for a post race picture.  Luckily someone else was at the finish line snapping photos.
Across the finish line.


9       Post-Race and Recovery
Everyone finished the 25k and they all just killed it.  I was super proud of Courtney (knee issues), Kelly (9 months post baby) and Marcus (3 weeks post-surgery) all doing just awesome on their first tries on the SHT.  Tanya did awesome too and is really getting a handle on this trail running thing which is nice to see.  We made it back to the room took some showers, hung out with Peter, and got some Pizza to go from Moguls which was really good.  Ended up sleeping like crap after the race and we were all up and out of bed around 6AM.  Packed everything up and headed home by 7AM.  Got home early, mowed the lawn, and hung out with the kids.  Started getting fairly sore that night and Monday morning the biggest issues are where I was cramping (inner thighs and right calf). 

All in all I feel really good.  It was another super fun weekend and I love this distance.  Just long enough to really test you, but short enough you can have a normal day/night afterwards.  It was super fun to be running the same race with Courtney and have Marcus and Tanya up there as well.  Good to see the group of people I know who participate in these events grow.  I also made some contacts of folks that are well versed in 100M runs so I hope to tap into those over the coming months.

Voyageur is next and cramping early in this race at 50 some degrees is worrisome.  Really need to acclimate my body to some heat and figure out how I can handle salt/fluids/other fuel to offset some of what I have felt.  Then we can bring on the fall race.  Giddyup!


No comments:

Post a Comment